Tuesday 29 October 2013

The Aquarathi #1 Waterfell

HAPPY RELEASE DAY. Presenting The Aquarathi #1 Waterfell by Amalie Howard.

Here is the summary of the book:

THE GIRL WHO WOULD BE QUEEN

Nerissa Marin hides among teens in her human form, waiting for the day she can claim her birthright—the undersea kingdom stolen from her the day her father was murdered. Blending in is her best weapon—until her father's betrayer confronts Nerissa and challenges her to a battle to the death on Nerissa's upcoming birthday—the day she comes of age.

Amid danger and the heartbreak of her missing mother, falling for a human boy is the last thing Nerissa should do. But Lo Seavon breaches her defenses and somehow becomes the only person she can count on to help her desperate search for her mother, a prisoner of Nerissa's mortal enemy. Is Lo the linchpin that might win Nerissa back her crown? Or will this mortal boy become the weakness that destroys her?


I'm at the point where I almost neglect to read the book synopsis before I begin. I don't make it a habit of it but when the book in question is published by Harlequin teen.... well I have enough confidence that I will love the book and this conviction has definitely not let me down..... This goes for Amalie Howard's upcoming 'Waterfell' too.....

I went in expecting an underwater mermaid-human love fest with the villain thrown in..... but Howard's WATERFELL pleasently surprised me. Yes there are underwater creatures, but they are definitely bigger and better than the mer-folk..... underwater extraterrestrials more like.... Now i've decided not to include my own synopsis... This is an ARC review and as such readers you need buy it and be amazed by it like I was.

Waterfell tells the story of the Aquarathi Crown Princess Nerissa Marin. Teenager and underwater royalty. She at first comes off as a selfish, mean little girl. Who would rather take the cowardly way than fight for her right. She doesn't want to rule and instead wants to live an anonymous life on land as a human..... But situations do not favor Rissa and she soon realizes what needs to be done and rises to the occasion to fight the evil that not only threatens to destroy 'Waterfell' but the whole wide world and take back her crown.

I didn't like Rissa at first...... but got to say, she grew on me.... her feelings and emotions and the ability to learn from past mistakes are her bonus points and make her seem more real and approachable. Besides Rissa showing her Aqarathi powers (which were so cool), it was her friendship with Jenna & her boyfriend Sawyer that made the second highlight of the story (especially Jenna). Jenna proves to be quite the good listener, and the rock Rissa needs in her dual life. I quite liked the dynamics of it.

Then there is Lo. Sweet and HOT. Which is a killer combination. The new guy, Lo Sevon, catches Nerissa's eye rather fast. Exuding that HOT surfer dude personality, he seems to only have eyes for Nerissa, even when other girls practically throw themselves at him..... and goes out of his way to spend time with her..... I rather liked the fact that it was not insta-love but the gradual ones where they took their sweet time to get to that conclusion. Their chemistry was totally sizzling. Lo does hide a big secret about himself despite what the synopsis says (I did suspect in the beginning) and maybe be what Rissa needs to win.

This is an amazing first book. And I quite liked the way Amalie Howard presented the Aqarathi and their underwater land called Waterfell. I think we can establish a new literary couple with Lo and Nerissa ..... and totally excited to see what 'Oceanborn' will bring to us.

"An exciting, fresh and dynamic series premiere"

Genre :      Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Urban Fantasy

Publisher: Harlequin Teen

Release Date: 29th October, 2013

My Copy: publisher and netgalley

Rate:              5/5 (It was Amazing)

Buy:           Amazon | Book Depository

3 comments:

  1. Underwater extraterrestrials, huh? See, I may be able to handle that! I don't usually do well with mermaid stories. They don't seem to hit the right spot. But underwater aliens? Yeah, I think I could handle that. And it just sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Aparajita! I agree the aquarathi are definitely bigger and better than regular mer-folks! Glad to see that you enjoyed it too!

    P.s. Thanks for stopping by the blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really looking forward to this one! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Le' Grande Codex Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design